Texas Is About to Get Really, Really Hot! Are You Ready?
Memorial Day weekend is a good time to make sure you are prepared for
the hot summer months so you can save money on your electric bills.
Weekend Energy Saving Checklist:
- Take advantage of this weekend’s Energy Star Sales Tax Holiday - where Texas shoppers get a break from state and local sales taxes when they purchase certain energy efficient appliances.
- Set your thermostat at 78 when you are home and 85 degrees when you are away. Each degree cooler or warmer will increase your energy use by 6 to 8%.
- Clean or replace air conditioner filter and coils or have your air conditioning unit serviced to cut 15% of cooling costs. And make sure to turn your system off if you leave for the entire weekend.
- Eliminate wasted energy. Turn off your lights when you leave the room. And sit down with your kids and challenge them to do the same.
- Unplug or recycle that spare refrigerator in the garage if you don’t truly need it — this extra appliance adds 10-25% to your electric bill.Or take advantage of the sales tax holiday to replace it with a more efficient model.
- Install a programmable thermostat. It can save up to $160 per year and pays for itself in 6-9 months.
- Replace two (or more if you can) incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs, which use one-fourth the energy and last up to seven times longer. 90% of the energy used by incandescent bulbs produces heat, not light.
- In the morning, close your blinds and drapes so the house stays darker and thus cooler.
- Seal cracks, gaps, leaks and add insulation to save up to 20% on home cooling costs.
- Find or download your past summer electric bills and make a 2010 summer goal to use less kilowatts and save money!