The Department of Energy (DOE) finalizes Regional Standards
On Oct. 25, the Department of energy confirmed that it adopted new residential appliance standards for central air conditioners, furnaces, and heat pumps. According to the new rule, the country will be divided into 3 regions (Texas will be in the Southern Region), and the minimum efficiency standards for these appliances will vary depending on the region they are installed in. The new rules become effective in May 2013.
Standard for the Southern Region are: Split Air Conditioner: 14 Seer (Seasonal Efficiency Energy Ratio), Gas Furnace: 80% AFUE (Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency).
With this new ruling it is so important to maintain and take care of the Central Air Conditioning Unit and Furnace that you have. Most people think that when a company comes out for example; $59.59 they are actually going to do something. Contractors are busy selling home owners on the idea of replacing their old furnaces, and air conditioning units, pointing out that the energy savings will defer the cost, when most new Air Conditioning Systems operate at 40% lower efficiency rated. But, remember this, if you choose to change out your equipment, make sure to get an Air Conditioning Performance Report.
A local Houston company, Texas Star Heating & Cooling, feels that the homeowners and business owners needs to be more informed. According to Ron Niles, founder and CEO of Texas Star heating and Cooling, AC companies need to provide visual inspections, performance testing and measurements. They then need to recommend corrective action by providing adjustment and component cleaning, which will return the equipment to good working order. By conducting a regular scheduled inspection and maintenance of the air conditioning and furnace systems will prolong equipment efficiency, promote healthier and cleaner air, guards against carbon monoxide and unexpected failures, while prolonging the life of the equipment!
• Texas Star Heating and Cooling LLC is a local Houston / Katy / Cypress company and is owned and operated by Ron Niles. Ron has over 30 years experience and attended Pinellas Vocational Technical Institute for Air Conditioning. He has certifications from
• State of Texas Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Contractor #TACLA27731C
• State of Florida Air Conditioning Contractor #CAC044364
• State of Alabama Board of Heating Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Contractors #05078
• Railroad Commission of Texas Air Conditioning LP Gas
• State of Texas Certified Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Technician #20045
• State of Texas Apprentice Electrician
• Mainstream Engineering Corporation MVAC Technician Certification EPA 609
• Refrigeration Service Engineers Society EPA 608